Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The green-eyed monster




As Halloween is upon us I thought I would share a funny story (call it a trick or a treat really) about the green-eyed monster of jealousy. When we talked of Joseph receiving his coat of many colours, which most likely signified him receiving the birthright, we also talked about how this made the other brothers jealous of him, being 11th of the 12 sons of Israel. I then told the class I was going to ask them an easy question, "Jealousy leads to good things or bad things?" They all in one voice answered back "Bad things." A hyper, energetic young woman on the front row raised her hand and said, "Yeah, like when you like a boy and another girl likes the same boy!" I respond saying, "Yeah, we do get jealous. So what are we going to do to stop it, or avoid it?" A pudgy, sandy blond haired boy with braces on the opposite side of the room raised his hand and said very matter of factly, "Well, you just go and get what they've got." I thought quickly and replied saying, "Like, if someone's righteous then you need to not be jealous but try to follow their example instead??" He, looked down, and then up again and said, "Yeah, like if someone has a bag of Skittles, you can just go and get your own bag of Skittles." And that was that. Oh, if it were only a bag of Skittles that we got jealous over. I hope that we can maintain such sweet simplicity. Have a sweet Halloween!

2 comments:

Ceej said...

Oh Babe, this story cracks me up! I love you!

Vicky said...

So if the girl who is jealous of the other girl who likes the same boy just goes out and "gets the same thing," isn't there going to be a problem?

Okay, just kidding.

I thought yours was a great comeback with seeking to be righteous just like those we admire who are righteous. I, for one, should follow that counsel.