Tuesday, November 6, 2007

"Is such pride in my son a sin?"

Pride has a very negative connotation in our religion, as it should. It is the universal sin. And I am in no way opposing that. The way in which I will use that word in this post will refer to joy and rejoicing in others' accomplishments. A little disclaimer never hurt anybody right? [and bonus points if you can guess the movie quote--the title of this post; it's in quotes]


So there have been some moments in my adult life that have made me very proud. Here are two pictures reenacting a moment that brought such pride into my heart. Viana, one day took this awesome Toy Story Wreath and started teaching her little sister who all of the characters were. It was so cute and it warmed my heart.


This was a wonderful experience, however, it was overshadowed when for the first time in praying Viana said after the prompt "in the name," from CJ, "Jesus Christ...AMEN!" It was so exciting to hear her use His full name in a prayer. Alma said to his son Shiblon, "I trust that I have shall have great joy in you." Viana learning how to pray in the name of our Savior brought great joy to me.

In class, my 6th period has certainly brought great joy to me. Something happened. Someone flipped a switch and there hands have started coming up to share. I am so proud of them. I wish to single one of them out for her incredible accomplishments. When school started her father came in to tell me that she may be a bit behind others, because they hadn't been to church in 4 years and he hadn't taught her much from the scriptures. Well, yesterday, this young woman with a darker shade of red hair and freckles raised her hand and shared a lesson that she had applied. She stated simply, "Family Home Evening." She further explained that in fulfillment of an invitation from class, "We prayed, read the scriptures and talked about seminary."

Today, her hand was up again. I had asked the class when they had been blessed by the priesthood. She told of her mother having a serious surgery in the which she received a priesthood blessing and made it through the surgery okay. I am so PROUD of her and her growth. Isaiah, in speaking of the last days taught, "...And a little child shall lead them."

5 comments:

Ceej said...

This reminds me of beautiful Airiel Denter. Although I know there are many factors involved in her families activity in the church, I believe that this faithful and pure young women has had a lot of positivie influence on helping her whole family start coming to church again on a much more regular basis.
And I think I see some type of bear saying that movie quote. Am I way off?

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

Ummm....Yeah, way off!

Royfam said...

Years ago I coined the word "ploud". It means "pleased out loud" or the nice version of proud. It works cause I'm very ploud of my kids(girls and boys) and grandkids:)

Unknown said...

"Is such pride in my son a sin?" I believe that is from the movie "The Testaments". Am I right? What's the prize? -Jordan

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

You can't be asking for the prize if you don't even know if it's right or not....yep, you're right! It's Testaments. Good stuff. Um, I'm not really sure how to define "bonus points" but I'll get you something good Tavale!