Thursday, November 29, 2007

So Elder Lund says. . .

Wow, has this been an intense week or what!?!? Monday, in class we got to study the bread that the children of Israel dubbed, "What is it?" or in other words=Manna. The children of Israel had just been delivered, two months into their journey which would eventually last 40 years they started murmuring about water, then about food. So the Lord provides bread from heaven and quails to nourish the children of Israel. We focused our class discussion mainly on "Relying on the Lord, without murmuring." However, near the end of class I asked for students to share something that they could take home from this lesson, and one student said, "I was looking at how they were murmuring, but still the Lord blessed them with manna and I'm just amazed at the Savior's love." We ended on that.


Then, real life came into the picture. That night I got invited to teach an institute class from such a good friend that I had no way of saying "no." It would be fine, but I had a pretty busy day that day and knew that I would not be able to prepare a whole lot. Add to that, the lurking thought of an interview with a general authority the next day. This was scary for me. "Institute? There gonna expect me to know something. There gonna want me to share all these cool Hebrew word etymologies and such, and I'm just a part-time seminary teacher." So, basically, I was really nervous and knew that I wouldn't even have a chance to prepare a lot. But, I went. I got there about an hour early. I would be covering over 20 chapters so I tried to cover as much as I could. I still felt terrible. Then, people started coming in. I started shaking hands and getting names. One was a fellow student teacher. Another was a graduate from Timpanogos High School who was in a class that I had subbed for on a few occasions. Slowly, the nerves faded. Well, to make a long story short (too late) it was one of the greatest experiences of my life! I learned so much from them and left on a huge spiritual high. I could think of nothing better to lead into my general authority visit. I was driving home and trying to think of why I was so blessed. I crammed to prepare (because I really just was short on time), and I don't even remember saying a verbal, conscious plea for help--and then, Boom! It hit me. "I'm just amazed at the Savior's love." She had nailed it, and I was amazed at His love, which was so undeservingly poured out on me and those students that night.


The next day was amazing. CJ and I got all dressed and ready for the interview. The drive up we discussed potential questions we might encounter and tried to organize our thoughts. We pull into the underground parking after getting security approval, and start walking towards the entrance of the Church Office Building. The nerves came now; but they weren't overwhelming. We got badges and made our way up to the 3rd floor of the west wing where Elder Lund's office was. He opened the door, came out and greeted us with such a warm smile--melting away the last streams of anxiety. We sat and talked for about 25 minutes about his experience in CES (he said 35 years), what led us to CES, and then some standardized church employment question. The interview had come to a close. So, then, Elder Lund says, "I'm happy to fully recommend you without any reservations."

11 comments:

7Carters!E,H,V,B,R,C,E said...

And to our visit with Elder Lund I add, "I'm just so amazed at the Savior's love for us!"
-CJ

Unknown said...

Yeah!!!! Great Job you guys!

AubreyB said...

Congratulations - I'm glad it went so well!

Kaylene said...

YAY!! Congratulations!

The Blairs said...

Yea!! You already know we all think your awesome, but I bet it's an amazing feeling to hear it from him. All those seminary (and institute) kids are lucky to have you.

Brooke said...

What a beautiful post, Eric. Reading that was just what I needed both because it made me so happy to hear that you guys are one step closer to the job/life that you so deserve, and because that was a lesson that I needed to hear today. You will have to thank that student for me, the thought is so beautiful because it is so true- the mercy of the Lord continues to pour into my life despite the fact that he knows even better than I do how thoroughly undeserving I am.

The Blairs said...

This is my first time to leave a comment on a blogsite. Yea, Eric and C.J.! I am thrilled about your interview. Your seminary stuff is great! I am very jealous. There is no better job than teaching seminary. I had a great Friday with my kids- they wrote some very personal things to a question I gave them. The only problem is I am separated by church and state rules from really discussing things with them. I am so glad the world is losing an orthodontist! Love Mary M.

Carterfam said...

Thanks so much everybody! It really is empowering to know that I have such wonderful friends/family to support this challenging and exciting endeavor. My area director said about the interview, "That's a good sign. It doesn't mean anything, but it's a good sign." It was funny.
Brooke thanks so much for your comment and I will definitely tell her that her principle continues to bless others lives. Brooke, as someone who knows you, I would say you are very deserving of each and every blessing that comes your way and then some. Thanks everyone!

Paul said...

Well done Eric and CJ! Congratulations! I hope that you are teaching seminary close to where ever Vicky and I settle down, so that our kids can be taught from the best.

Keep up the great work.

lori said...

What a beautiful post Eric, thanks so much for taking the time to type up these experiences! What a blessing to us all!

(and for the 1000th time...we're so happy about the Elder Lund interview! =)

Janna said...

yeah! so glad to hear it!