Thursday, November 15, 2007

Trust and Plagues

Moses saw the Lord and received instructions from Him at the burning bush. Mainly, that he would be God's instrument in delivering the children of Israel from bondage. All of Moses' concerns were taken care of by the Lord; i.e. he gave him Aaron to be a spokesman. On the first attempt to have Pharaoh release the children of Israel, things took a turn for the worse--Pharaoh just made the work harder for the slaves. Moses then, near the end of Ch. 5 of Exodus asks the Lord, "Wherefore hast thou so [badly treated] this people? Why is it that thou hast sent me? For since I came to Pharaoh to speak in thy name, he hath done evil to this people; neither hast thou delivered this people at all." This young prophet was meeting some adversity pretty early on. Has that ever happened to you, when you go to do what you know the Lord asked you to do and it seems to just go wrong. Pres. Hinckley had a similar experience to Moses on his mission in wondering why he was there and what good he was doing. It's an amazing experience to read Exodus 6:1-8 and read the Lord's response (oh, and bonus points if you remember the response the Pres. Hinckley got from his dad). As you read those verses; all of which is the Lord speaking to Moses; circle the word "I". And tell me what you think the Lord wanted Moses to learn.




Two parts for today=Part two is the continuation and on into the plagues. So, Moses and Aaron turn their rod into a snake, but so do Pharaoh's magicians. Pharaoh still isn't impressed with God's power, although their snake ate all of his magicians' snakes (cool picture huh?) and still refuses to let His people go. So, on come the plagues. To introduce this in class, I asked the students if God loves His children. They said, "Yes." So, then I asked, "Well, does He love all of His children?" To which they also responded in the affirmative. Then, I asked, "Why then did he send these awful plagues on the Egyptians (I almost wrote Fijians--I must be tired)?" They gave some great answers. Looking through the story (we covered Exodus 7-10 today) you can see God's love in this story. 1-the children of Israel were protected 2- God kept trying not to have these plagues come, but Pharaoh kept hardening his heart (make sure you check the JST in the footnotes for that one). God kept giving Egypt the chance, but Pharaoh refused. We talked also of how these plagues foreshadow events prior to the Second Coming and I asked the class, "How then are we gonna be okay from all these bad things that will happen?" A popular, but very quiet girl in the back of the room (who I even have a hard time getting to read out loud to the class) mouthed something. I asked her what she said. Then she spoke up saying, "If we are close to God, then we will be protected." I was so "ploud" (if I can schnike that word) of her. It was perfect and way better than I could've put it. I wrote it up on the board and even used it for the entire next period. How true that is! If we will be covenant people and stay close to Him, He really will protect us. So, does God love His children? All of them? Does God love you? Even if "plagues" or hardships are coming your way, I testify that He does!

2 comments:

Ceej said...

Hi Eric, I love you. It's really cool when you circle all the I's...there are more than just a few!! I think the Lord in essence is saying, "Be still and know that I am God" It's not MOses that is trying to deliver the children of Israel out of bondage, it is God.

Taylor said...

I see it kind of like CJ does. God is in control and will accompish his purposes. He may use us as instruments, but with or without us, he will prevail. He also seems to be reassuring Moses that He will work things out. He starts by listing promises that He has already fulfilled, then makes a string of new promises to Moses.
On to the plagues--The way I see it, what our Heavenly Father cares most about is our salvation. Boils, locusts, even cancer and starving children are probably of little concern when compared to our eternal salvation. God will not remove trials that may bring us closer to him. We, however, must decide whether our trials will draw us closer to him, or if we will push ourselves away.